Thursday, March 25, 2010

Aikido Training

3/22/10

I ordered my gi (training uniform) a couple of days ago. I was delighted that it was $35. It is much heavier than the dobok and the jacket opens like a robe. So, I am forced to wear some kind of tank top under it. I am already predicting that when the weather heats up, so will I. It doesn’t help that I already have hot flashes (thanks to perimenopause).

3/24/10

Today was the first Aikido class. The first thing that was very striking about this particular martial art is the extreme formality. To begin the class we are taught a bowing ceremony. After that, we are informed that we bow to the instructor, our classmates before working on our training, our classmates after switching techniques, our instructor after every instruction and then a bowing ceremony at the end of the class and then another exit ceremony where we bow to the instructor and (I assume) the top two people in the class. It made the first class pretty confusing.

We learned some footwork, wrist stretching exercises and the beginnings to one move. It was difficult learning the complicated moves. I can see that after practicing the moves, they will be effective. So, my advice for anyone wanting to get into Aikido; make sure to practice!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of Aikido! I hope your journey is a fruitful one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Scott! I hope you enjoy watching me on my journey.

    ReplyDelete