Thursday, March 25, 2010

Taekwondo Training

3/6/10

We have not had class the past two weeks due to illness and other life events. Here we are missing class and wanting to learn more. So, what do we do with our time? We practice all the moves that we are not so sure about. I made sure to practice the form and the kicks. I know the more I practice the more balance I will get. I would like to get to the point where I don’t feel like I am going to fall over every time I learn a new kick.

At this point in my training, I still feel like the moves are pretty foreign. I am also having trouble wrapping my brain around the principle of pushing your attacker away from you. I want to get close and control my opponent, not push them away. Taekwondo works from the goal of getting your opponent away from you so that you can run away or something else. I am not sure, at this point, what that other thing is.

If you are the kind of person who is uncomfortable with the thought of touching your opponent, then Taekwondo will probably be a great choice.

3/13/10

This class was great! We worked on all the things we have learned so far. We also learned the round kick, a kick that I really like. This kick is going into my “favorite moves” file. I should make a page with my favorite moves… hmm.

Master Sue talked about the forms and I found out that I was doing one of the moves wrong. So, when I practice my form I have to remember to do one of the turns differently.

I just looked back through the Taekwondo entries and noticed that I have not really explained what forms are. Many of the martial arts have some kind of form. It is actually like a dance that you rehearse over and over again until you can demonstrate it to the instructor. There are many reasons to learn forms; discipline, improving muscle memory, improving follow through and lastly to bond with your martial art. I will be writing an article on this for the site and filming the forms that we are required to learn in our trainings. So, make sure to check the site and watch for these.

No comments:

Post a Comment