Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sometimes It Hurts To Fight

It started with a routine move. I have done this move many times when I was a child and was very good at it. I attempted to do it again and it went terribly wrong. This move could have been any form of activity; running, climbing, swimming, walking, etc. In this case it was a break-fall type roll in Aikido. I have done it many times, successfully, when I took Judo.

Martial arts injuries are as common as running or tennis injuries. Staying active runs a risk of injury. So, why do it? Many people engage in activities, including martial arts, to stay fit. Other reasons for engaging in activity include self-esteem, fun, competition and social aspects. Martial arts offer the extra benefit of self-defense.

I am a runner and I train in martial arts. I go to the gym regularly and also work out in my house. Why do I do it? I love to move. My body feels limber and I sleep great when I work out regularly. Swimming, lifting weights, walking, stretching, moving makes me feel good. I have sustained many minor injuries over the years and I still keep moving.

When I performed the roll in my class, it hurt. I rubbed my back and got up and finished the class. That night I was sore, so I iced my back and took some anti-inflammatory medication. I rested for a couple of days and then felt better.

A couple of weeks later I performed the same maneuver. I hurt the same place on my back. The difference between the first injury and the re-injury was the pain. After the re-injury, I felt a significant amount of pain. I could barely drive back home.

I saw the doctor, spent the next two weeks on muscle relaxers and then went back to the doctor. The doctor changed my muscle relaxers and gave me a referral for physical therapy. The weeks spent on muscle relaxing medications were frustrating for me. I was too tired from the meds to write or focus on anything. I slept and lived on the couch for most of my days. If I wasn’t too tired, I watched T.V. Generally, I hate watching T.V. so this activity left me irritated.

I was upset, frustrated and probably very irritating to those around me. My boyfriend, parents and friends supported me and made sure that I was following my treatment. Admittedly, I can be quite stubborn so, my boyfriend has put up with a lot of my crap. I am lucky to have such caring and wonderful people around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment