Friday, February 12, 2010

Taekwondo Training

1/23/10

It is a little strange taking martial arts classes again. The uniform feels strange and I am constantly adjusting it. I wore a tank top underneath the uniform; big mistake! I was pulling and adjusting and sweating. I won’t be making this mistake again.

In this class we learned the low block, straight punch, a specific method of stepping and the high block. The moves were totally unfamiliar and the ready stance was very uncomfortable and unnatural. I would not fight from this stance.

I have to practice this low block before the next class. I am horrible at it. It seems like a silly move.

1/30/10

Sue (the instructor) asked if we had learned the tenants (courage, integrity, perseverance, self control, indomitable spirit). Neither of us had learned them. I was so busy practicing the low block, I didn’t even think of them.

This uniform (dobok) is a little strange. It has long slits up the sides that hang open. Once you get moving in the class, it rides up and exposes your skin. I don’t happen to care about being exposed but, it does get a little uncomfortable.

So, we learned a front kick, and she got more into the punch. We also worked on the blocks, especially the one I am so terrible at. She also informed us that we are going to be learning a form, which incorporates all the moves she is teaching us. My homework for the week will be tenants and blocks.

2/6/10

We dove right into the beginning of the form that we must learn. She demonstrated it and then we worked on the various turns that are involved. This form is not as complicated as it can be. The moves are pretty repetitious. We also worked on the blocks and the front kick. She introduced the natural stance for sparring.

No comments:

Post a Comment