Friday, March 18, 2011

Chi Kung

3/11/11
I had my first Chi Kung (aka Quigong) class today at the Lohan School of Shaolin. It seems to be a form of energy (chi) manipulation and meditation. We covered posture, breathing and did a creative visualization meditation.

I have, honestly, never really studied this form of meditation. There will be five classes in this series and we are expected to practice the techniques and learn the material. So, I will be studying and practicing.

On another note, I think this instructor will be teaching me tai chi. I am glad to finally find an instructor, since I have already been rejected by two different instructors. I’m still note sure why I am having such a hard time finding someone to teach me tai chi.

I believe that having this as a foundation will help me to understand Chinese martial arts a little better. Most of them have something to do with using chi. If it also helps my condition, even better.


3/18/11
Class number two went well. We moved more in the class, which was a little difficult. The movements weren’t difficult, it was difficult trying to focus on the energy protocol and then add the hand and arm movements to it. I didn’t really feel that the hand motions were helping move my energy, but we already know that specific movements aren’t my friends.

I was interested in how movement could enhance meditation. I have been meditating for over 20 years, and have never used any kind of movement. I think I might have to practice the movements until they are comfortable and then add them to the meditation. So, for now, I am trying to copy the instructor and try not to look like a complete dork.

2 comments:

  1. Keep it up. I had Qigong or kiko or chigong classes a long time ago. It felt good, but also too slow for my taste. When I no longer can practice karate, I'll probably get to it. until then... ha. :)

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete